Thursday, October 11, 2007

Updated Wheels and Rubber

Time to make some changes in the wheel and tyre department.

The existing wheels are ROH Gamblers, 15"x7" with 215/65 x 15 tyres. Nice enough, but I'm a fan of the old school type of rims - in particular the Dragways.

I've been looking around for some wheels in good condition which wouldn't cost me a fortune (aren't we all?). Ideally 7" for the front, 8" for the back.

After one false start I picked up some Dragways (eBay again) for $400 with tyres, a pair of 7" and a pair of 8"- although the tyres are pretty well stuffed (as I found out when I picked them up):

All good, but consider this:
  • Some nuts came with the wheels, however they were an incomplete set, and many of them were rusted.
  • Tyres were (as I said) stuffed. Not really a problem, as I always intended to put some new rubber on.
  • Caps were not matching, and one of them was very badly damaged, so I needed some new caps.
The nuts:
The nuts which are on my existing wheels are different to the ones I need for the Dragways. For the Dragways wheels, they are long shanked 7/16" nuts with washers, which are readily available (by order) from your local tyre place. Price for 16 nuts, washers and a set of locking nuts is $120.

The tyres:
The rubber on the wheels were 215/65x14 on the front, and 235/60x14 on the rear. I took the wheels to the local tyre place and they are fitting up some 215 for the front, and 245 for the rear (about $450 including balancing). The rear tyres are not a common size, so you'll most likely need to wait a few days while they get them in.

The caps:
Some brand spanking new caps are available on eBay for $64 (plus postage), so I ordered a set. Actual picture from the eBay ad shown below. To find them, search for "Dragway" on eBay.



It all sounds expensive, but remember I'm selling the existing set complete with roadworthy tyres, caps, nuts, locking nuts. Hopefully the change over won't be too extreme!

Once I get the new ones fitted up to the car, I'll update the "latest pic" photo at the top right.

No comments: